The Compensation Department is responsible for developing compensation programs, policies, and approaches that meet the unique needs of our academic and business units that enables Howard University to attract, retain and develop top talent.
What we do
- Design and implement salary grades and pay ranges
- Provides analysis of competitive market data, compensation trends and pay practices
- Evaluate internal and external equity
- Ensure compliance with pay-related legal and regulatory obligations
- Position management
Position descriptions are used to establish the essential duties and responsibilities of an employee’s position across the University. Each employee should have a position description and each description should:
- Define the essential functions of a position within a department
- Outline the major duties and responsibilities and identify the reporting relationship
- Provide the qualifications and skilled required
The position description is important for decisions on recruiting, measuring employee performance, and legal compliance. Please use our generic position descriptions to get started.
The job evaluation process is conducted by the Compensation Department to determine the appropriate job classification level for a position at the University. This is done by analyzing the job duties and functions. The job evaluation determines
- Classifies the title, pay grade and exemption status (Fair Labor Standard Act)
- Salary (relative to market and grading)
- Legal requirements
- Internal equity between similar job
- Establishes a basis for recruitment
If a job has experienced a significant change in duties and responsibilities, then a job evaluation is needed. To request a job evaluation, please work with you Human Resource Business Partner to complete the Job Evaluation form and compensation will review it.