Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions.  The questions are organized by subject.  If you are unable to find the answer to your question, please feel free to contact the Office of Human Resources at 202 806-1280, or send an email to

Benefits Questions

How can I change my direct deposit information for the pension?

You can email, or if you do not have access to email please contact Human Resources 202 806-1280.  The email link is


How do I obtain a pension verification letter?

Contact the benefits department in writing at

I lost my Delta Dental card. How can I obtain another Delta Dental card?

You can log into to obtain your Delta Dental card, or you can contact Delta Dental directly.

Does my Flexible spending account roll over every year?

No, Flexible spending accounts do not roll over from year-to-year.

I lost my Cigna card. How can I obtain another card?

Log into to obtain your Cigna Card, or you can call Cigna directly.


If I miss my enrollment for health insurance, when will I have the next opportunity to enroll?

You can enroll in your health insurance during the annual open enrollment period. 

When I enroll in my health insurance / dental insurance when do I receive my card.?

It can take up to 10 days to receive your card via mail. However, the card can be accessed and printed on the Cigna website.


Employment Questions

​​​​​​​I applied for a job at Howard. How do I get the status of my application for employment.?

Email your name and position title for which you applied to We try to respond within 48 business hours.



Where can I apply for employment at Howard University?

You can apply on website

Inclement Weather Questions

In the event of inclement weather, how do employee's get notified of the university closing, or a late opening?

You will receive notification through HU Communications and the Bison Safe App. Employees can also receive information via the university radio station WHUR (96.3) and your local news station.

Leave Questions

What is the maximum amount of annual leave an employee can carry over?

Staff can carry over up to 80 hours of leave annually. 



Can you receive pay for sick leave if you leave the university?

No, hours accumulated for sick leave are forfeited upon departure from the university.



When you reach 15 years of employment do you receive more annual leave?

Yes, you receive 208 hours annually.



When you leave the university, does the university pay you for your annual Leave?

The university will pay up to 80 hours in annual leave upon departure from the university.

Resignation/Termination Questions

What do I need to do if I resign from my position?

Provide a resignation letter to your immediate supervisor two weeks prior to your last day of work. The supervisor will upload the letter into Workday. Afterwards, it will be provided to HR and payroll in order to proceed with the resignation process. 



What should I do if I am terminated?

The human resources business partner will assist you in your exiting process:



Retirement Questions

Am I eligible for a pension?

The Howard University Employees Retirement Plan is a frozen plan for employees hired from 1976- 2010.


How do I apply for the pension plan?

Please send an email to

I am a retiree how can I change my address?

Please send an email to or call 202 806-1280.

Tax Questions

How do I change my tax elections on my pension?

Contact the benefits department in writing at or contact human resources via phone. 



How do I obtain my 1095c for tax purposes? 

Your 1095C is available in Workday. Instructions can be found here:

Tuition Remission Questions

What are the eligibility requirements for tuition remission?

Tuition remission is available for employees with a minimum of one year of service. Tuition remission for dependent children requires a minimum of 2 years of service. 



What is the cut off age for my dependent child for tuition remission?

The dependent child must be under the age of 23.

Can I, or my dependent children receive tuition remission if I am retired and not collecting my pension?

No, you must be receiving your pension in order for you or your dependent child to receive tuition remission.