Applying SmarTrip Benefits to the MARC Train:
- Visit the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) website and open a SmarTrip Account.
- Register SmarTrip Card with WMATA.
- Wait to receive confirmation that your SmarTrip card has been successfully registered.
- Register SmarTrip Card with Howard University to be enrolled in the SmartBenefits program.
- Visit the Commuter Direct website and create an account.
- You will need to include a personal credit card.
- Under the My Account Tab see “SmartBenfits & SmarTrip Cards” and select “Add/Delete SmarTrip Cards”.
- Select the “Add New SmartTrip Card” option Howard University or you will receive an error message.
- You will be prompted to create a User ID and Password for your SmartBenefits account.
- Enter same information as when you registered SmarTrip Card.
- Enter Howard University as “Employer/Contributor” and select “I am not a Federal Employee."
- Enter the contribution amount and month to start allocation.
- Tickets will be mailed to the address provided.
If there is a problem with your SmartBenefits allocation process you will receive an email from Commuter Direct.
SmartBenefits Passenger Allocation System:
- Go to the SmartBenefits Passenger Allocation System.
- Log in (ID and Password should be the same from WMATA).
- Select the Bill Payment Tab.
- Select Make Payments.
- Select Howard University Add Payment.
- Choose Commuter Direct from drop down menu.
- Chose Commuter Direct in second drop down menu (the option without the numbers).
- Enter amount that you are looking to add on the MARC and then type 100%.
- Always feel free to contact Commuter Direct at 703-228-7433, Monday-Friday, 7am until 6pm (EST) or Smart Benefits at 1-888-SMARTRIP, Monday-Friday 7am until 8pm (EST) for help.
Allocation steps must be completed before the 15th of the month prior to benefits beginning (i.e. submit allocation request by January 14 for funds to be applied beginning in February).
MARC Train Renewal Orders will be mailed in the middle of the prior month (i.e. January Tickets will be mailed no later than December 14).
**Nine Month Faculty SmartBenefit enrollments will be put on hold for the months of June thru September**