You are eligible for benefits if you are an active full-time faculty or staff member of Howard University (prorated benefits are available for certain union members who work at least 20 hours per week). Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits are available if you work 30 hours per week.
Who Can Be Covered
If you elect coverage, your dependents are also eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage. Eligible dependents include:
- Your legal spouse
- Your legal child(ren). Eligible child(ren) include:
- Your natural, adopted or foster child(ren), stepchild(ren), your same-sex spouse’s child(ren) or any child for whom you have legal custody
- Your children up to age 26
- Your mentally or physically disabled children of any age if they rely on you for support and became disabled before age 19
Dependent Verification of Eligibility
Dependent documentation is required for newly added dependents when you first enroll or if you experience a qualified IRS life event during the plan year. You are required to provide documentation substantiating the eligibility of your dependent(s) within 30 days of the change or enrollment. The following documents are acceptable:
- Spouse – marriage certificate (current or previous year only)
- Child under age 26 – birth certificate, adoption papers, or a court document awarding custody or requiring coverage
- Dependent child over age 26 – birth certificate along with one of the following documents a Social Security Disability Award, letter from a physician certifying disability prior to age 19, or parent’s (current or previous year only) tax return claiming the child as a dependent.
All documentation must be submitted in Workday within 30 days of the change or enrollment. Instructions for submission can be accessed here.